Fill in the fields below with your data to discover the estimated burden associated with all
pressure injuries in your hospital.
The burden calculator is populated with data from the literature, however, all fields can be changed to reflect your hospital situation.
This calculator is intended to be used only for the purpose of assessing and demonstrating potential cost savings ranges under normalized hospital cost conditions. The results and outcomes are estimations only and should not be interpreted as a guarantee or warranty of similar results. It does not suggest a definitive review of actual costs and savings incurred in a hospital. Savings are estimates only and specific to the individual case. Savings may not be typical and may vary.
(1) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). Healthcare cost and utilization project. National (Nationwide) Inpatient Sample (NIS). Date accessed: www.ahrq.gov/data/hcup/index.html.
(2) Vangilder, C., Cox, J., Edsberg, L.E., Koloms, K. (2021). Pressure Injury Prevalence in Acute Care Hospitals With Unit-Specific Analysis - Results From the International Pressure Ulcer Prevalence (IPUP) Survey Database. Journal Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing. 2021;48(6):492-503.
(3) Taheri, P. A., Butz, D. A., & Greenfield, L. J. (2000). Length of stay has minimal impact on the cost of hospital admission. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 191(2), 123–130. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1072-7515(00)00352-5
(4) Milbrandt, E. B., Kersten, A., Rahim, M. T., Dremsizov, T. T., Clermont, G., Cooper, L. M., Angus, D. C., & Linde-Zwirble, W. T. (2008). Growth of intensive care unit resource use and its estimated cost in Medicare. Critical care medicine, 36(9), 2504–2510. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e318183ef
(5) Slight, S. P., Franz, C., Olugbile, M., Brown, H. V., Bates, D. W., & Zimlichman, E. (2014). The return on investment of implementing a continuous monitoring system in general medical-surgical units. Critical care medicine, 42(8), 1862–1868. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000000340
(6) ADefinitive Healthcare. (2021). Top-10 hospital performance metrics you need to know. https://www.definitivehc.com/blog/top-10-hospital-performance-metrics-you-need-to-know
(7) Bauer, K., Rock, K., Nassal, M., Jones, O., Qu, W., (2016). Pressure Ulcers in the United States Inpatient Population From 2008 to 2012: Results of a Retrospective Nationwide Study. Ostomy Wound Management (November).
(8) Hillrom Data on File. International Pressure Ulcer Prevalence Survey. (2019)